Abby did absolutely wonderful throughout the whole day. We woke up in the morning and they came to check her and realized that just giving her the effacing medicine was enough to jump start labor so there was no need to actually induce. At about 7 a.m. the contractions were pretty close and she was already partly dilated. Abby's water had not broken yet, but they weren't to worried and went ahead and broke it around 7:30 a.m.
I sat around for a while while Abby's contractions got closer and more severe. That was probably the most trying period I've endured in a long time. It's very hard to see the woman you love going through one of the most painful things in all of the world and not being able to do anything about it. I quickly learned that Abby just wanted me to be quite and sit there. I wasn't even allowed to read, which made it tougher, but I have no cause to complain.
Abby and I had discussed doing an all natural birth with no epidural (I thought it was nuts to do it without one, but I'm the guy here so...), but we never cut off the idea of getting Abby something for the pain and I am very glad we didn't. Abby was a real trooper and has (as anyone who knows her could tell you) a very high pain tolerance. When she finally decided it was epidural time I knew that it must have been bad. The epidural was actually pretty interesting (from my point of view). I had to hold Abby's feet while the doctor did her magic. It took about 5 minutes to get it in and another couple of minutes for it to kick in. Once it did kick in Abby was stuck in bed for the rest of the time.
After they got Abby situated following the epidural the nurse came into check her and she was already 8 centimeters dilated and totally effaced. We knew then that it would only be a couple of hours until we got to see our baby girl!
After two hours the nurse came in and wanted to do some practice pushes. The nurse quickly realized Abby didn't need any practice and called Dr. Corbett to come on over (probably has something to do with all that gymnastic and body awareness). After 50 minutes of pushing out popped Molly McKenzie.


She is so precious! I am so happy for you guys--Molly couldn't ask for better parents! Can't wait for Will to meet his future girlfriend! ;-) -Jenna
ReplyDeleteCongratulations Abby and big brother Brian! I can't believe you two are already parents - but I know you will do a wonderful job raising little Molly! I can't wait to come see my beautiful niece! (And I can't wait till she's old enough for me to take her shoe shopping - haha!) Love you lots!!!
ReplyDeleteShe is just beautiful!!! You guys have just begun the best and most amazing journey of your lives!! We are so happy and excited for you and for each little moments ahead of you! Take in every second,she will be running around before you know it! Lots of love,
ReplyDeleteJac, Toby, Avery & Andon
Congratulations Abby and Brian!!!!! Molly is so precious! Know we are always here for you!!!! Have a wonderful time enjoying each and every moment with Molly!
ReplyDeleteLove, Lisa, Brian, Charlie & Henry
Yay!!! She is SOOO beautiful! Congratualtions you two! Enjoy every minute of it. I can't wait to meet her. Tristan is excited too! Love you guys!!!!
ReplyDeleteHannah and T